Coronavirus Update: February 9th, 2021
By The Numbers:
Statistics are current as of February 9th, 4:30 p.m. CT
- In Texas, there are an estimated 2,177,572 confirmed cases in our state, and there have been 39,001 deaths, as reported by the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Tarrant County has at least 196,739 confirmed cases, the third-highest number of cases among Texas counties; Parker County has 11,208 confirmed cases; and Wise County has 5,570.
- In the United States, there are at least 26,939,515 cases and 463,659 deaths, as reported by the CDC.
Need to Know:
- North Texas turns a corner. This Monday, February 8th, North Texas’s COVID-19 hospitalization rate fell to its lowest number in two months: 15.7%. Significantly, the rate is now close to Governor Abbott’s threshold that a region’s total hospitalization rate needs to drop below 15% for seven consecutive days in order to increase capacity at businesses, restaurants, and bars. Continue to do your part to slow the spread and get vaccinated if you can, so that our community can keep the momentum going and our businesses can soon safely welcome larger capacities.
- Vaccine options continue to expand in and around Texas 12. Last Saturday, Texas set a new one-day record for the number of COVID-19 vaccines administered: nearly 180,000 in one day, contributing to the 3,000,000 total vaccines administered. More vaccine doses will arrive in the coming weeks—and many will be coming right here to North Texas. According to the Texas Department of State Health Services, Texas is slated to receive over 400,000 additional first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine this week alone, with an additional 330,925 second doses for those who received their first shot in recent weeks. There are now 19 vaccine “hub” sites in North Texas, including three in Tarrant County and one in Parker County.
- Fort Worth small businesses: Apply for free rapid test kits through the Fort Worth Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Faster confirmation of COVID-19 cases can help us slow the spread and create a healthier Fort Worth. The Fort Worth Hispanic Chamber of Commerce is participating in a program established by Governor Abbott to provide free rapid COVID-19 tests to small businesses with fewer than 500 employees. Click here to learn if your Fort Worth small business qualifies to receive free test kits or call 817-625-5411.