Before visiting a foreign country, you should ensure that all your travel concerns are addressed by visiting the U.S. Department of State website. This site can also provide you with visa requirements for visiting some foreign countries, travel alerts to advise you of any threats or dangers in certain parts of the world, and how you can register your travel plans with the Department of State.

Here are a few of the most common questions my office receives that deal with passports:

How can I renew my existing passport?

If you already have a passport that is not damaged, was issued in the past 15 years, was received after your 16th birthday, and your name has not changed (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order), you can apply for a passport renewal by mail.

For more information on renewing your passport, visit the Passport Renewal Page at the U.S. Consular Affairs Web Site.

I can't wait for the normal six week processing time for my application. Can I request an expedited processing of my passport?

Yes. For an additional fee, you can request expedited processing which normally takes two weeks. Please be advised that during peak travel season, usually spring through summer, this timeframe may be extended.

For more information on expediting processing, visit the Expedited Service Page at the U.S. Consular Affairs Web Site.

If you are traveling within the next two weeks, you may be able to visit the U.S. Passport Office for same-day or next-day processing. Please contact my office for additional assistance.

My office is always available to assist you with the issuance or renewal of your passport. If you cannot find the answer to your questions through these links or would like my office to contact the Passport Office on your behalf, please complete my privacy release form and send it to my district office, my staff will be happy to provide you with all possible assistance.